On the subject of teen pregnancy, an ounce of prevention is worth 8 pounds 2 ounces of cure. So, I'm posting a little quiz I call "Math to Discourage Early Pregnancy".
1. Poor Benny is sick. On Sunday he cried until 1:00 in the morning. How many hours can his mommy (or daddy) sleep before the alarm rings at 5:30 so s/he can take Benny to the babysitters’ house before s/he goes to work cleaning hotel rooms?
2. On Monday, Benny cried until Midnight then slept (off and on) until 5:00 am, Tuesday he was exhausted. He fell asleep at 9 pm, but woke up wet and hungry at 4:30 in the morning. On Wednesday, he was finally healthy again. He slept from 8:00 until 2 am, then went back to sleep from 2:30 until 5:30. Assuming Benny’s daddy and/or mommy slept every minute that Benny did, how many hours sleep did they get in 3 days?
3. On Thursday morning, Benny got carsick. To get the smell out of her car, Benny’s mom is going to rent a cleaning machine. It costs $8.50/hour, plus $9.85 for 1 liter bottle of cleaning fluid. If she can clean the entire car with only 2 bottles of cleaning fluid in 3 hours, how much will it cost, altogether?
4. It’s Saturday night and Benny’s mommy wants to go out with her friends. It costs $5 to get into “The Club,” plus a 2-drink minimum. It’s $2 for a “Club” soda (carbonated water). The babysitter charges $4/hour. Benny’s mommy has $40 left in her paycheck. She needs to save $12 for gas plus $10 for baby food, diapers and ramen noodles. How much does she have left?
5. If she has just 2 drinks, how long can Benny’s mommy go out?
6. Extra Credit. Suppose some $#@^%$%^*! puts a “rufie” in Benny’s mommy’s Club Soda, and she wakes up in a frat’ house on the other side of town. The bus fare is $1.00. She arrives home at 8:20? How much will the babysitter charge?
7. Extra Extra Credit. Compare the typical salary of an inexperienced high school graduate versus the cost of diapers, childcare, additional rent for a larger apartment (share rentals don’t accept babies), baby food, etc. Hint: This may be a negative number.